This is our first official #MidnfulnessMonday of the year (no pressure right!?) and we are excited to begin another year with you, but we are also feeling heavy hearted. Last week’s events in France are atrocious and horrifying and the purest representation of hate. In our practice and in our lives we look to come from a place of peace and serenity, which can be quite difficult when the world around us is in chaos. So, today for our first #MindfulnessMonday of the year, we are sharing a few of our favorite ways to spread peace and joy and love in the world.
1. Smile – It is a proven fact that it is impossible to feel sad while smiling. So, smile to make yourself feel happy and to share that happiness with others.
2. Be Generous – Be generous with your time, be generous with your resources, be generous with your spirit, be generous with your patience, be generous with your warmth. The more positivity you put into the world, the better it will be.
3. Be Charitable – Being charitable is good for the soul and by giving your time, funds, clothes, food etc to those who need it, you become a part of a chain of giving. If we all gave just a little bit to those who need, imagine what a difference it could make.
4. Be Kind – We often focus on being kind to strangers, but it is also important to remember to be kind to our closest contacts too (who are sometimes the easiest to lash out on). Show the same kindness to your husband, wife, sister, brother, mother, father, best friend as you would to a client, student, complete stranger. Like they say, happiness starts at home.
5. Practice Yoga – Of course, practice yoga. And practice from a place of joy and love, free of competition or expectation. Practice with a deep breath and a calm mind and work to bring your peaceful practice into the rest of the world.
Peace. Santi. Paix. Shalom. Pace. Salam. Paz. Vrede. Pis. Pas.
Samara Zelniker is a yogi, wine drinker, pet lover and travel junkie.