Have you ever planted a seed in your garden?
Do you come back the next day and think - why the heck isn't this seed a full plant or flower yet?!
If you are anything like me, you have probably done something like that once or twice before...
We consciously KNOW that it takes time for a seed to grow into a full plant. But when it comes to the seeds we plant in our lives, we are often a little less patient.
I've been learning about vertical leadership development and what it takes for us to grow from one stage to the next.
A key trait of an interdependent leader (the highest tier) is the ability to take yourself off the roller coaster of emotion associated with success and failure and embrace uncertainty as a constant.
An interdependent thinker thinks strategically, has a longterm vision and actively ENJOYs and appreciate the process of creating something new and watching it grow over time.
Essentially, and interdependent thinker learning how to enjoy the process of tending to his or her garden, knowing that there will be both bloom and death.
So let me ask you...
What kind of thinker are you?
1. Dependent thinker: You are generally a conformer, a team player, a faithful follower, reliant on authority, seek direction and align with others.
2. Independent thinker: You are an achiever, someone who is self-directed, drives an agenda, takes a stand for what you believe in, and are guided by an internal compass.
3. Interdependent thinker: You are a collaborator, you see systems, patterns and connections, are a longterm thinker, hold multi-frame perspectives and holds contradictions.
Check out these reflection questions to support your 'thinking' about how you think!
1. Which definition did you most relate to and why?
2. What longterm goals are you working towards?
3. Where can you bring more patience into your personal or professional growth process?
4. How can you enroll others in your vision?
5. Are you actively celebrating small wins while staying committed to the process?
Samara Zelniker is a yogi, wine drinker, pet lover and travel junkie.